Thursday, October 8, 2009

Comments on the Nashville Music Garden Dedication on Sept. 29, 2009

After 30+ years as a country music fan and seeing lots of country stars over the years, last week I finally had the chance to see my two favorites in person at the same event! Today was any Barbara Mandrell fan's and/or Lynn Anderson fan's dream!!!!

I got downtown VERY early that morning. Outside near the garden, it was obvious that they were setting up for the ceremony. The garden and the area where the ceremony was held are really in the front yard of Nashville's Downtown Hilton, so I went into the Hilton lobby, figuring I'd eventually run into other people who were there for the dedication. That early, all was fairly quiet. Eventually, I saw Lynn Anderson's parents Casey and Liz come in, but before I could get anywhere close enough to speak to them, they went even further to the other side of the lobby and sat down. Some time later I looked over where they were sitting and there was Lynn talking to them! I walked over, pink hat in my hand (LYNN'S hat, that I was the high bidder for in the YWCA auction back in the summer!), and as soon as Lynn turned and looked my way, I waved at her and then went over to speak to her and give her a hug. She showed me how to carry the hat so as not to damage it, and then SHE put it on my head!

Knowing Lynn had a busy morning, I moved out of the way, back over into the middle of the lobby. By this time, other celebrities were starting to arrive. I was on my cell phone with a friend when I looked up and saw Barbara Mandrell and her husband just a few feet in front of me! Lynn came over to where Barbara was, they greeted each other and hugged, then patiently posed while a lot of us snapped pictures of them, me included.

The bouquet you'll see in a few of the shots taken inside the lobby is made out of sugar, and the brown boots the flowers are in is chocolate! The artists who had made the arrangement were there, and they got some pictures with Barbara and Lynn. I overheard one of the artists telling Barbara about watching her and her sisters on TV as a child.

Donna Fargo, Little Jimmy Dickens, Brenda Lee, Jeffrey Steele, and others gradually arrived. The friends who were there with me came in after Lynn and Barbara had moved on out of the lobby. About 30 minutes or so before time for the ceremony to begin, we went outside and found places to sit. Casey and Liz were sitting not too far in front of us, and whoever was in front of them had a dog with him/her. I saw Casey petting the dog after the dedication was over.

Ralph Emery hosted the ceremony. He introduced Barbara, who spoke for a bit and recognized Pat Bullard, the creator of the Nashville Music Garden. Then Barbara had Ralph come back to the mike and introduce Lynn, who then read the list of all the roses being dedicated that day. There was quite a long list, and all the people representing the roses came forward.

It was VERY windy outside at times, and the pink hat actually blew off my head twice! I quickly grabbed it and crammed it back on, and spent a lot of my time outside holding onto the hat with one hand!

Next, the honorees walked the Red Carpet to the actual garden area for the ribbon cutting; Nashville's mayor Karl Dean did the honors. The artists spent plenty of time posing for pictures in front of the garden, and were eventually ushered back inside for a press conference. Before going back into the Hilton, Lynn stopped by the RFD-TV table, where I got several more shots of her.

My friends and I hung out in the lobby for awhile longer, and eventually Lynn and Barbara came down the elevator together. I asked to get a picture with both of them together, which unfortunately did not take! However, I wouldn't take a million for those few seconds of just standing between Barbara Mandrell and Lynn Anderson! They are my two favorite entertainers EVER!!!!! All the kids who are now getting all excited about seeing the likes of Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood.... that was ME 30+ years ago over Lynn and Barbara! Had I known then that I'd someday have the chance just to stand in between them, even though the picture I tried to get didn't work, I'd never have believed it!

Lynn and Barbara were in a hurry, so I didn't want to slow them down any more than I already had. However, I did ask Lynn how she managed to keep her hats from blowing off her head when it's windy like it was that day. She stepped back, took one look at me, and said, "Well, you've got it on backwards!" and the proceeded to take the hat off my head, turn it around, and put it back on my head the right way! LOL! When the wind blew it off, I just crammed it back on, not paying attention to how it went on!

Barbara and Lynn were on their way over to the Sommet Center (our arena where the Nashville Predators play) for a luncheon, so I figured that was going to take awhile. I really did need to get to work, so I left after the picture attempt that didn't work, as did the friends who were with me. What a GREAT day it was, and I wouldn't take a million for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are links to my pictures from that fun and fantastic day!

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=158355&id=529236538&saved

Photobucket http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v159/PaulaDec63/Nashville%20Music%20Garden%20Sept%202009/

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    You left a comment on my blog several weeks ago, and I apologize for taking so long to answer it!

    First of all, thank you for your comment. My family actually knew nothing of the call. They were as surprised as I was.

    In recent years I have met Ms. Mandrell's daughter-n-law, and she is the one put her up to calling. And I'm so glad she did. :-)

    "delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 34:7

    ReplyDelete